食事 (sho ku ji)
- 食事 is a common word for ‘meal’.
まかない (ma ka na i)
- まかない, 賄い in Kanji, is a meal before you start to work.
- You may get まかない if you work at a restaurant or diner in the afternoon or evening.
- They don’t have to give まかない to you, it is up to them. T
- They should give you まかない if they said they would when they hire you.
- It can be free, half price etc. It is also up to them.
Read a recruitment ad carefully and find the word まかない or 賄い if you want to be fed at where you work.
The photo below is a seafood bowl as a まかない at a restaurant in Tsukiji Tokyo where you have a famous Tsukiji Fish Market. A seafood bowl is usually quite expensive so you are lucky if you could get one as a まかない.