On this page, you can learn how to make a passive sentence in Japanese.
Passive Sentence in English
The passive sentence in English is ‘be + past participle’. Here are some examples:
- Cakes are made by my mother.
- The house was built by my father.
- The car was broken by my younger brother.
Passive Form is needed to make a passive sentence in Japanese. Click here to learn how to make Passive Form.
Make a passive sentence in Japanese
This is how you translate the three sentences at the top of this page into Japanese. ‘by’ is によって. The words in a bracket are Polite Passive Form.
Task: Change into Japanese, using Polite Passive Form.
- The book was written by me.
- The meal was made by my younger sister.
- I was seen by the boy.
- The olympic was held in Brazil. (hold: おこなう)
- The next olympic will be held in Tokyo. (‘will be held’ is same as ‘is held’ in Japanese. Click here for more details.)
- A boy was killed by a man at a park yesterday.