On this page, you can learn Japanese words you can use in a daily conversation with the song 福笑い (Happy Laugh) by 高橋優 (Yu Takahashi).
Official Music Video
The learning focus on this page is the expressions below.
You can find them in the video. Go to 0:21.
Let’s have a look at the expressions more carefully. Scroll down please.
- あなた (a na ta) means ‘you’.
- が (ga) is a topic marking particle which doesn’t mean anything.
- 笑ってた（わら・ってた／wa ra t te ta）means ‘was/were laughing’.
It says ‘Past Progressive Form’ but don’t worry about ‘past’. You just need the form to use ら in this sentence.
- ら (ra) means ‘if’.
- 僕（ぼく／bo ku）means ‘me’ or ‘I’.
- も (mo) is a particle which means ‘also’ or ‘too’.
- 笑いたくなる（わら・いたくなる／wa ra i ta ku na ru）means ‘want to laugh’.
It gets confusing if you try to translate なる which is ‘to become’, so don’t worry about なる too much. Basically, 笑いたくなる is the same as 笑いたい.